Wednesday 31 August 2011

Peanut butter chocolate-chip cinnamon cookies...

Another weekend another 12-hour, round trip, bus journey to Plymouth.  This time though as it was a three day weekend, (God bless you bank holiday weekends), it was a tad more bearable!  A much deserved (at least I think a much deserved) chilled out weekend spent surfing, eating, drinking, making cookies and meeting the boys' new puppy...

Eleven weeks old, cute as a button and incredibly excited about EVERYTHING she was utterly charming!   She even managed to be enchanting when she was delivered back drunk from an afternoon walk to the pub (having lapped up almost an entire unguarded beer)...


The new addition to the household watched every move avidly while I was pottering around the kitchen.  I decided as the oatmeal raisin cookies I’d made last time had been such a success I’d try a new variation of cookie this time – helloooo peanut, chocolate and cinnamon cookies!  How tasty are you?!  I found the recipe (predictably - again!) while browsing through the Martha Stewart website.

Admittedly I was less prepared this time and hadn’t brought the bags of pre-measured ingredients so had to resort to measuring everything using the only implements left in their kitchen - a small mug and an ice cream sundae spoon.  Thanks to this very forgiving recipe the cookies still came out perfectly.

They were quite large so this quantity only yielded two dozen - all of which were hovered up within the following couple of hours (and not all by me I might add, somehow I managed to restrict myself to only eating three). 

Compared to the luxury of my long weekend, Tuesday morning brought me back to earth with a bang - I got my first ever puncture on the way to work while freewheeling down a hill, then had to drag the bike to the nearest station and wait for a train.  Then I fainted on the train so had to get off and walk the rest of the way. 

It made me feel like something out of a mills and boon book, one of those absurd corset clad ladies constantly in a swoon... smelling salts at the ready!  Looks like I’ll be needing some comfort food this evening, maybe another batch is on the cards? (Any excuse!)

Preheat the oven to 180˚C.  Whisk together the flour, bicarbonate of soda, salt and cinnamon until mixed and aerated.  Blend the butter and peanut butter until combined.  Add both sugars and continue to beat. 

Mix in the eggs and vanilla essence. Gradually add the flour mixture until just combined.  Fold in the chocolate chips and peanuts then chill the mixture in the fridge for approximately 15 minutes.

Spoon out equal lumps of dough and roll into approximate 2 inch balls.  Space 3 inches apart on a lined baking sheet and flatten slightly.  Bake until barely golden (approx 13 minutes – oven dependent).  Cool on a wire rack.
2cups plain flour
1tsp bicarbonate of soda
1tsp table salt
½tsp cinnamon
170g butter
½cup peanut butter
1cup brown sugar
½cup white sugar
2 large eggs
2tsp vanilla extract
1 ½cups dark chocolate chips
2/3cup roasted, salted peanuts, chopped
 

No comments:

Post a Comment