Wednesday 21 September 2011

Holiday...

Currently I'm sunning myself on a beach... or surfing... or maybe wandering around a market full of yummy treats in the south-west corner of Portugal... here is my postcard to you all...


Weather's good, food's great, wish you were here...


:o)


x


I promise I'm not just gloating... no really!  I thought I'd also share Delia’s recipe for Irish Tea Bread which I made before setting off...

It's super tasty and that's coming from someone who doesn't like fruitcake!  It really can't be beaten when toasted and slathered in butter...

The day before you want to bake, dissolve the sugar in the hot tea, add the fruit and candied peel and leave overnight to plump up.

Pre-heat the oven to 170˚C.  Bake the nuts for 6-8 minutes then roughly chop once cooled.

Stir the egg mixture in to the soaked fruit.  Sift the flour in then stir in the nuts.

Divide the mixture between two lined loaf tins and bake for 75-90 minutes.  Immediately remove them from the tins and cool on a wire rack.

Irish Tea Bread: makes 2 small loaves 
225g raisins
225g currents
225g sultanas
110g candied peel, chopped
225g demerera sugar
275ml Earl Grey tea (or any fragrant tea), hot
90g hazelnuts
90g almonds
2 large eggs, lightly beaten with 4tbsp milk
450g self-raising flour

No comments:

Post a Comment