Tuesday 11 October 2011

Goodbye to the short-lived baking embargo!! Hello yummy Courgette and Mozzarella Muffins...

Last week’s baking embargo was blown well and truly out of the water over the weekend!  There were almond croissants, pan aux raisin, and muffins secreted in with the usual autumnal jams, jellies, and pickles.  I’ve therefore decided that instead of attempting to eat less or healthier (it was in hindsight a remarkably implausible challenge for someone like me!) I will just have to exercise more...

Now I know:  I’m not exactly a gym person - but, I’ve managed to find another fun alternative to keep me fit between surfing and snowboarding – indoor climbing!  I’ve signed up for a course and am loving it!  Fingers crossed it will be enough to keep me and the added blog calories from falling out – if not pity the poor fool who has to belay my climbs!

I would like to think that because these Courgette and Mozzarella Muffins from Dan Lepard aren’t laden with butter and sugar and contain actual live healthy vegetables we can pretend that they are in fact good for me.  We’ll quickly gloss straight over the oil and cheese content... who cares?  They taste gooooood!  What's a little oil and cheese amongst friends?

The muffins were perfect (still warm from the oven so the mozzarella was all gooey) for a quick weekend snack.  Definitely one to make again... (and again... and again!)

Pre-heat the oven to 200˚C.  Place muffin papers in 18 holes of a 24-hole muffin tin. 

Mix all of the ingredients except the flour and baking powder in a large bowl until evenly blended. 
Sift in the flour and baking powder and fold through gently.  Spoon into the prepared cases (almost to the very top – they don’t rise that much!). 
Bake until puffed and golden (approximately 25 minutes).

2 large eggs, beaten well
100ml milk, cold
25ml olive oil
2tsp caster sugar
1tsp salt
1tbsp chilli flakes
1 small bunch of spring onions, finely chopped
1 small bunch of chives, chopped
8 slices ham, finely chopped
275g mozzarella (drained weight), cubed
1 large courgette, grated
275g self-raising flour
3tsp baking powder

No comments:

Post a Comment